Book Baggie Questions
Here is a list of possible questions to help you with conversations about the books you are reading to your child. They are not intended to be used all at once or every time you read with your child. Use them at your discretion and where they are appropriate. Happy Reading!
Questions to ask before you read
- Look at the cover and read the title. What do you think this story will be about?
- Look at the pictures and predict what you think will happen in this book?
- What makes you think that?
- What characters do you think might be in the story?
- Do you think there will be a problem in this story? Why or why not?
Questions to ask during the reading:
- What do you think will happen next?
- What can you tell me about the story so far?
- Can you predict how the story will end?
- Why do you think the character did _______?
- What would you have done if you were the character?
- How would you have felt if you were the character? (use different characters)
- As I read, what are you wondering about?
Questions to ask after reading:
- Can you remember the title?
- Were your predictions about the story correct?
- If there was a problem, did it get solved?
- What happened because of the problem?
- Why do you think the author wrote this book?
- What was your favorite part of the story?
- If you could change one thing in the story, what would it be?
- Are there any personal connections you can make to this story?
- Can you retell the story to me?